Changing records is a fundamental piece of functionality in CRM but there are occasions when you need to change a large volume of records and the native editing functionality of Microsoft Dynamics CRM aren’t up to the challenge. Recently we figured out a simple way to export and change records in bulk without creating duplicates and we wanted to share it with you.
- Choose or create a view with the records/columns you need.
- Choose Export to Excel on the top ribbon.
- Choose to export as a static worksheet.
- You will have the option for current page records or all pages in current view.
- Tick the checkbox “Make this data available for re-importing by including required column headings”
- Open the Excel file and enable editing.
- Go to the “Review” tab in excel and “Unprotect Sheet”.
- Update the data as necessary.
- Save the file as XML to be reimported.
- CSV files will not allow you to update only and will create duplicates.
- Click ‘Import Data’ button in the CRM top ribbon.
- Browse to the XML file location with the updated information.
- If done properly you will see a screenshot similar to below with the message “This Action will update existing records and, if required, create new records. If you do not see this message duplicate records will be created.
- Click Submit and you’re done!
You can check the status of the import from Settings -> Data Management -> Imports. If you see errors Click on the import and check “Failures”. There will be error codes here that should help you troubleshoot the import problems.